page contents

Saturday 6 February 2016

Ford Mondeo ST24: fuel pump replacement

In an earlier post I lamented the absence of my car's towing-eye bolt or, more precisely, that I only discovered the bolt was missing when I actually needed a tow. The tow was necessary because my car's fuel pump had completely packed up, leaving me stranded. So, today I fitted a new pump. This post isn't intended to be a step-by-step guide but instead concentrates on the seemingly tricky task of disconnecting the fuel lines from the pump/sender unit module. It was apparent from a bit of research into this task that disconnecting the fuel lines was a most problematic matter. However I also found this video on YouTube which turned out to be the most helpful thing I've seen this year. Thank you, DJ Daniel! Now that I understood the principle, I had to adapt it seeing as there was only me available and three hands are required for the task. The photos below show how I used an 8mm spanner to precisely the same effect. Fuel lines came out a piece of piss. For me, the trickiest part was removing the old pump from the sender unit. Still, the whole job only took me about an hour and my big old turd of a car lives to see another day.

For the record, I got the replacement pump off ebay. It's a Magneti Marelli MAM00037 and cost me £28. The pump in the pictures below is the old pump.










More soon, no doubt....

D

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before publication. If you'd prefer to keep your comment private, please say so and it will not be published.