page contents

Wednesday 4 November 2015

Kenwood dishwasher fun (KDW12ST3A): Part Six (IT'S FIXED!!!)

Yes indeed :)

Today I took delivery of my new-old-stock pump - £30 delivered from ebay. I'm not actually sure its precisely the right pump because it is visibly different to the pump on the machine. Plus there's no space on the impeller housing for the half load solenoid. Nevertheless, the piping all fits, as does the wiring, so I lashed it in tonight, after my tea.  I've opened up the dishwasher so frequently that the whole job of swapping the pumps over (from disconnection to re-connection of the water main), took little more than 10 minutes. The dishwasher is now on its longest (and hottest) cycle and I've chucked in a bottle of cleaner, just to get rid of the soily smell that had developed over the past few months.

I'm very pleased to have my dishwasher back. Total cost:

New controller - £80
New heater element - £18
New pump - £30
Switches and other bits - about £10

Total: £138

I'm going to put the old controller on ebay - they seem to be going for about £30 so I might be able to recoup some of my costs.

Either way, my outlay is far cheaper than buying a new dishwasher. And since I've replaced all the important bits, I've basically got a new dishwasher. I've also learned plenty about dishwashers. This additional "string to my bow" is priceless.

The photos below are the new pump. It's definitely a Welling YXW50. I'm thinking that the correct pump is actually the YXW65 but, really, I don't actually care :)







More soon (but hopefully not about this dishwasher...)


D.

EDIT (20 August 2020) - well, we're almost five years on from this repair and I'm pleased to say that the dishwasher is still working fine :)

EDIT (15 March 2024) - Almost nine years now and still fine (apart from the door latch and spray arm which needed replacing per my more recent posts) :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was able to use your experience to solve my dishwasher problem. The main problem was breaking the metal part of the half load (1/2) solenoid valve, which had blocked the water outlet of the lower nozzle, it was solved by removing the tab, and now the dishwasher is working well. Thank you so much for providing this experience because it gave me the courage to solve the problem by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! Mine is still going strong all these years later!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated before publication. If you'd prefer to keep your comment private, please say so and it will not be published.