page contents

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Kenwood dishwasher fun (KDW12ST3A): Part Five

Well, I've put everything back together and there is still no heat.

However, I stand by my theory (in Part 4). Before I put the motor back (using some shiny new and cheap jubilee clips from Screwfix), I took some time going over the motor.





The first thing I noticed, underneath, was rust. There appears to be a leak on the seal where the motor's shaft enters the impeller chamber.




It is only a matter of time before the leak gets so bad that water starts pissing out every where.





The other problem is with the impeller itself. The presence of the flap off the solenoid valve has destroyed the outer edges of the impeller. This can only have had a detrimental effect on the performance of the pump. Having spotted the damage, I was now less hopeful that merely removing the flap from the chamber would fix everything. And so it proved. The dishwasher is running and both spray bars are turning - plenty of water everywhere - but it seems that it is not enough.

So, what next? The impeller chamber is two halves that have been plastic welded together. I suppose its not beyond the realms of possibility that the chamber could be cut in half again, along the seam, a new impeller and seal fitted, and then re-welded. The question is, can I be arsed? Plus I'd need to spend money on some plastic welding kit. On reflection, I think its time for a new pump. As far as that goes, espares do them for about £80. However, there are quite a few sellers on ebay selling the part "new old stock" for less than £40. It's pay day on Friday so that's what I'm going to do.

For the record, the pump (which in my machine has no labels or other identifying marks) is a Welling YXW50. Power wise, there are actually a few variations of this pump but from what I can tell, all of them have the correct arrangement for coupling up to the existing pipework. These next two pictures are for me to use as an easy reference:



More soon, no doubt...

D


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before publication. If you'd prefer to keep your comment private, please say so and it will not be published.