page contents

Sunday 11 October 2015

Kenwood dishwasher fun (KDW12ST3A): Part Two

Righty.

I've bought a new heater element. It's not a Kenwood part but then again, neither is the original! Having studied the heater on my dishwasher, I decided that there is one factory somewhere churning out dishwasher heater elements for all the dishwasher manufacturers. So, whereas the "approved part" comes in at about £70, an identical (and presumably non-approved part) cost me £18. The pictures below compare the original part with the one that cost me £18. The new part is the shiny one. Apart from the gleam, it looks identical to the original.







I bought the new part from"bartyspares" on Amazon. The part is listed for a Beko but will probably replace the 1800w element on any dishwasher.

So, on to fitting. This was quite easy with the back panel removed. I had to cut the old clips off as they are the non-reusable sort. Disconnect the three wires and then remove the old heater. The new one goes in its place, re-attach the wires and connect the rubber tube on each end. I've used 30mm - 40mm jubilee clips for this and have now hit a snag. The clips I've got are too wide. Even fully tightened, the force of the water passing through the element is forcing the rubber tubes off (at both ends). This means that water is spilling into the bottom of the machine and setting off the flood sensor. The flood sensor - which manifests itself as a series of beeps and an E4 error on the display - basically shuts the machine down apart from the drain pump. This means I do not yet know whether my new heater has solved the original problem of the water not being heated; the machine just doesn't run long enough before the E4 to be able to tell.

Needless to say, I'll be buying some thinner jubilee clips at some point. Until then, I'll continue washing my dishes in the sink. Grrr....






In this last picture you can see the new heater fitted with the new jubilee clips which are too wide.




More soon, no doubt....

D

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before publication. If you'd prefer to keep your comment private, please say so and it will not be published.