page contents

Saturday 10 October 2015

Mondeo ST24 - MOT work: Part Two

Well, today I fitted the new wishbones. I'm not going to do a step by step guide because

I will make a couple of observations though. I did the right-hand side first. Now, since my car has an annoying habit of slackening-off the oil filter with the result that the whole right-hand underside of the car has a constant and liberal coating of oil, it took about 10 minutes to get the old wishbone off. Putting the new one on took a bit longer, and having bolted everything up I noticed that a bearing from the CV joint had come dislodged at some point (meaning I had to pop the ball joint out, pull the CV shaft and boot back and re-site the bearing). Nonetheless, I was quite pleased with my progress.

As far as the left-hand side goes, everything was very dry and difficult to remove. The bolt through the bush under the gearbox (which was, helpfully, in upside down) took the best part of 20 minutes to remove - I had to use my breaker-bar for the whole process, a quarter turn at a time. I cannot believe how tight it was, or that the bolt itself did not snap. Fitting the new wishbone was also difficult. I think the whoever did the job previously must have over-tightened everything because the "slots" were just too small to take the new part. After a lot of dicking about I managed to open them up a bit. Once I'd done that the new wishbone was on and bolted up in about 5 minutes.

The hard work was worth it though - the car feels absolutely fantastic now. It's strange how things go off so slowly that it is hardly noticeable. And then when the new parts go on, it is so apparent how bad the old ones were. I did take a few pics, mainly for comparison purposes. The old wishbones really were shot - the bushes were perished and soft. The ball joints were totally slack. They have been on a while though - they were new when I bought the car four years and 40,000 miles ago....














On Tuesday I'll be fitting new rear discs and pads, and the new caliper.

More soon!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before publication. If you'd prefer to keep your comment private, please say so and it will not be published.