page contents

Wednesday 14 October 2015

Mondeo ST24 - MOT work: Part Three

Well, I'm all done with this. On Tuesday I replaced the rear brake caliper whilst my brother very kindly spent his one day of the week off, lying in the dirt, welding my poor old car.

The brake caliper change was straight forward. Before starting I checked that the handbrake was operational - it was - and that the problem really was with the old caliper - it was (the little cam inside ratchet arm thing had worn away. There was also a lot of rust inside the back of the caliper which probably wasn't helping). Since we were pressed for time I didn't bother unhooking the brake cable from the equalizer bar behind the handbrake and instead simply cut the ratchet arm thing off the caliper using an angle grinder. Good job my new caliper wasn't bought on an exchange basis.... I put new pads on at the same time, then bled the system with an eezee bleed kit. All done, save that I still have to re-attach the handbrake cable.

As far as the welding goes, this went from needing a couple of small patches to needing some large plates. The rear quarter / third of the sill on each side was rotten. You can see from the photos what we had to cut out. On reflection, it might have been better to put new sills on (along with new rear arches), but limited time and funds precluded that course of action. It might be requirement next year though (if the old beast is still running). Once again, I can't be arsed doing a running commentary and instead simply attach some photos of our progress. I should add that the sills are completely covered by the car's body kit so there was no need for a beautiful finish on the welding. Bearing in mind what he was having to work with, my brother has done a damn fine job.












So, for the time being that's pretty much it for my car. I can now drive to a hardware store for some skinny jubilee clips so I can sort my fecking dishwasher...

More soon, without a doubt.

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before publication. If you'd prefer to keep your comment private, please say so and it will not be published.