page contents

Sunday 18 October 2015

Mondeo ST24 - broken driver's seat

Just a quick one before I go and take my dishwasher apart again.

The frame for the back rest in my driver's seat had snapped on me. Clearly a previous owner had had the same problem, because the frame had already been (poorly) welded once. My MOT guy was concerned about the state of my seat and so I borrowed my brother and his welder and re-welded the frame. The repair lasted about five minutes. So, since there appear to be no ST24 driver's seats left, I obtained one from a MK1 Mondeo LX to use as a replacement. I have two things to say about that. First, the MK1 seat has an identical footprint to the MK2 seat, and so fits straight in. However, the MK1 seat I'd bought had no pre-tensioners. Using the whole seat would have given me an airbag warning fault on the dashboard. I therefore kept the ST24 seat base, and simply fitted the MK1 seat back. The seat back is removed from the base by undoing the four T50 size torx bolts. I now have this weird looking (but safe) hybrid seat.


ST24 hybrid seat



It is also apparent that the ST24 seat back frame is identical to the frame used in the MK1 LX (and so probably any MK1). At some point in the future I'll be stripping all the gubbins off the broken ST24 seat back and installing them on the MK1 frame.

More soon, no doubt...

D

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before publication. If you'd prefer to keep your comment private, please say so and it will not be published.